Monday, October 7, 2013

Don’t Fear the Reaper


Ever hear that song, “Don’t Fear the Reaper”? I love that song, but probably because it is all about me, Death. I know it’s an old song, but compared to my age, it is actually new, isn’t it?

I’m a nice guy, I wouldn’t hurt a flea. I take no pleasure in my job, no more than any employee of any other company does. But in the same way that the trash has to be taken out and the lawn has to be mowed, somebody has to do it, and it may as well be me. That said, let’s get down to business.



One day you’ll meet me face to face. You have no choice in the matter, and for the most part, you don’t like to acknowledge that I’m waiting for you somewhere along the road of your life. Why be afraid of me? You know it’s inevitable, so why worry?

Oh, I see. You are enjoying your life right now. You have it good, well maybe not too good, but you think maybe one day things might get better. They might, I won’t stand in your way, but if you make it big and drive that new BMW at 100 mph on the freeway in the wrong direction after half a bottle of liquor, I can only guess that you are looking for me. I’ll be waiting for you, yeah, with bells on.




But, fear me? There is no reason for that. Fear of me just gets in the way of living your life to its fullest, of making the most of the time you have and the potential you have inside of you.  

I say, just do it. Climb that mountain, jump out of that plane, bungee jump, run that marathon, swim with the sharks. Don’t just sit on the couch and wait for me. I can find you wherever you are. No need to wait at home, watching TV. Grab your life by the balls and party like there is no tomorrow. It’s the least you can do!




Am I scaring you talking like this? Don’t be afraid. Besides taxes, I’m the only thing in life that you can count on. I am the only sure thing, the final show, the Big Fucking Kahuna Grand Finale! I’m not asking you to get with me yet, just know that I’m here and ready when you are.

So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and do something with that life of yours before I take it.

We’ll get together later, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment